Clean to protect the teeth of your toddler, a gesture to perform at the appearance of his first quenotte. How to proceed ? When to go to the real brushing ... then to give him the toothbrush? What good gestures? We tell you everything.
How to clean baby teeth?
- The baby teeth are fragile and need care. As soon as the baby's first quenotte makes its appearance, it must be cleaned (and the following ones as and when they arrive), because the dental plaque, even if it is invisible to the naked eye, exis-te bel and good.
- Use a cloth or cloth soaked in water that you will not be delicately on your baby's teeth. Do not use toothpaste because your toddler does not know how to spit and could swallow it. Take the opportunity to gently massage your gums to stimulate blood flow and allow other teeth to arrive in the best possible conditions.
- Between 1 and 2 years, your toddler is in full imitiation phase ... take the opportunity to set an example! As soon as he is old enough to hold it, you can offer him a small toothbrush adapted to his age and morphology. There are many choices today. To make this learning a pleasant moment, choose a colorful model, why not with the effigy of his favorite hero. At first, guide him to learn the right things.
- Good to know : it is not advisable to let your toddler fall asleep with a sweet bottle to avoid the formation of cavities.
From 18 months-2 years, a real toothbrush and the right gestures
- Your child loves to imitate you. So for him to do as you, brush your teeth with your family! Attach two brushings a day: it is the minimum required, with a special mention for the evening, indispensable. Even if the ideal would be a brushing three times a day.
Always go behind him and remember that brushing is at least as important as toothpaste It is necessary to proceed carefully, brush in front of and behind, from the gum to the tooth to facilitate the elimination of the bacterial plaque and the food residues, while promoting the circulation by the massage of the gums. When brushed upside down, it may repel bacteria at the bottom of the gumline.
So that this session is not a chore, choose a funny and clever toothbrush: for example, a model that makes music, which changes color when you have brushed your teeth long enough ...
- For a long time advised, the contribution of fluorine in drops or tablets has been abandoned, except in special cases. Use only a toothpaste containing very little fluoride (less than 500 ppm) specifically designed for children.
You do not know how to brush your child's teeth, follow the Boubou method of the French Union for Oral Health www.ufsbd.fr
Our tips for bigger kids
Take care of your teeth: the video.