The National Assembly is currently examining the bill establishing the creation of the position of Defender of Rights. If adopted, this law would include the abolition of the Children's Advocate as a specific and independent authority. A possibility that is debated. (News of 13/01/11)
The Children's Advocate, what is it?
- Established in 2000, this independent authority Its mission is to defend and promote the rights of minors, to fight against violence and abuse, and to uphold the International Convention on the Rights of the Child, the CIDE.
- The Children's Advocate may be seized by minors or their legal representatives.
- Since 2006, it's Dominique Versini who occupies this function.
- If the bill establishing a new and unique authority, the Defender of Rights, is ratified, Dominique Versini will not go until the end of his term, planned for 2012.
The bill provokes reactions and indignation
- Preserving the best interests of the child : UNICEF France and the National Convention of Child Protection Associations, the CNAPE appeals to MPs to maintain the specificity and autonomy of the rights of the child.
- The child is not a miniature adult! Dominique Versini reminds us that children do not vote, therefore do not choose elected representatives and all the more do they need to be represented by an autonomous authority.
- 8 in 10 are in favor of maintaining an independent institution and identified, responsible for the rights of the child. This is revealed by a survey conducted by TNS SOFRES in partnership with UNICEF France.
The vote is expected to take place on January 18, the text will then return to the Senate. Case to follow ...
Are you in favor of maintaining a Child Advocate position? Our survey.