It is well known, chemicals are harmful to the planet and, as a bonus, can give allergies, especially to the smallest. For our laundry, clothes or linens, recipes and natural tips are just as effective ... and much more economical!
1. A good vein, do your home laundry
- Dyes, perfumes, thiazolinones (preservatives), petrochemical surfactants, phosphonates ... as many chemicals found in traditional detergents. Often real poisons for the planet and marine ecosystems ... but also triggers for allergy. The solution ? Choose more environmentally friendly and hypoallergenic detergents, or, better, do your home laundry!
- In his book "Making his laundry ..." (Larousse edition), Régine Queva gives us her recipe. Mix 6 tbsp. shaved puree of "real" Marseille soap (with 72% olive oil) and 2.5 l hot water, pour into a 3 l can, let cool. Add 3 tbsp. tablespoon baking soda, 1 tbsp. clay coffee (you'll find it in organic stores), 1 tbsp. white vinegar, 10 drops of essential oil (lavender, eucalyptus, mandarin ...) and mix well. It's ready to use. Respect the quantities indicated to avoid any bacterial proliferation in the can. If your laundry is very dirty, you can replace the Marseille soap with 2 tbsp. black soap.
2. The anti-stain tips of grandmothers, it works!
- There are many effective stain repellents, but again ecology is often not there. The "recipes" of grandmothers can simplify life. Natural, they are also very effective. To remove frequent carrot marks on baby clothes, rub with a cloth soaked in 90 ° alcohol. Then rinse once with bleach and then with clean water. A spinach stain? Rub with a half raw potato, then wash with soap. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water. Nickel! For a patch of grass on clothing, dab the area with a cloth soaked in white vinegar, rubbing alcohol or 90 ° alcohol.
Want other tips from grandmothers against stains? Click here !
3. Enjoy the nice weather to dry clothes in the sun
- The drying in the open air is much more ecological than a tumble dryer, particularly energy-consuming (350kWh / year!).Enjoy the nice weather to extend your clothes outside, the sun also allows you to eliminate all the remaining bacteria and launder the laundry. For colored or black linen, prefer a place in the shade to preserve the brightness of the hues. Another good tip for baby clothes: iron them well to get rid of microbes and make them even sweeter!
4. Pressing: we hurry to an eco-friendly sign
- Many traditional pressings use solvents of particularly toxic chemical origins even carcinogenic, like perchlorethylene, a hydrocarbon nevertheless prohibited since 2012 (its prohibition will be total on January 1, 2022). In addition, unlike its name, dry cleaning uses large amounts of water to distill and cool the perchlorethylene vapors.
- Fortunately, today there are more and more shops or green signs (Sequoia, Aqualogia, Aqua Blue, Koala ...) using natural biodegradable products (and also smaller quantities of water). You think it's more expensive? Not necessarily, find out about the rates.
4. Bicarbonate, percarbonate ... we adopt them
- Did you know that in addition to eliminating bad odors (dirty laundry basket, for example), the baking soda enhances the action of the laundry and has softening virtues ? In the first case, just pour 1 tsp. (15 g) powdered bicarbonate in the washing drawer of the washing machine, it halves the amount of washing powder usual. To enjoy its softening properties, add 8 tbsp. of baking soda during the rinsing cycle. The big advantage of this product is that it is safe for allergies and irritations for baby's fragile skin.
- Another friend at the time of the laundry and non-toxic to the environment, the soda percarbonate. This white natural powder, made from sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide (hydrogen peroxide) is very effective in finding the whiteness of the laundry. A much greener solution than conventional whiteners containing optical brighteners (benzene derivatives) that are very aggressive for the skin and that pollute the waterways considerably. How to use percarbonate? Add half a tablespoon directly into the drum of the machine or mix 2 tbsp. in a basin of hot water (not boiling), soak the laundry at least 1 hour before putting it in the machine. You will see the result is bluffing!