Alcohol: watch out for children

Alcohol: watch out for children

Glass of alcohol mingled with a child's drink, a small liqueur with swallowed liquor, a champagne cap that jumps ... every year, especially during the holidays, there are accidents with young children. A little reminder of basic precautions.

Drink or chocolate ... to put out of reach

  • A glass bottom of a beautiful red color, chocolate bites that seem very innocent ... Your toddler does not hesitate a second: he swallows them all round! Only it was neither grenadine nor praline filling, but blackcurrant cream and liqueur ... A small amount of alcohol can be dangerous when it is swallowed by a small child, especially if it is strong alcohol.
  • By causing a drop in the blood sugar level, alcohol causes a toddler serious hypoglycemia. Ingested in large quantities, it can lead to coma with brain suffering that can lead to serious sequelae.
  • If your child has swallowed alcohol, call your doctor or the nearest poison control center right away. In the meantime, give him sugar to raise his blood sugar: sweets, syrups, very sweet drinks ... unless he has a tendency to sleep.

How to prevent such risks?

  • Do not give liquor sweets to your child. The amount of alcohol ingested could be significant if he ate several.
  • Keep out of reach the creams of fruit (blackcurrant ...). He can confuse them with his usual syrup. Also, do not let your child play with samples of eau de toilette or perfume. They are very concentrated alcohols.
  • An aperitif with friends is one of the times when there are the most accidents. Redo supervision with children and do not leave glasses half full on the coffee table.

Bottles: they are sometimes explosive!

  • Champagne, but also drinks or sparkling water, sodas, lemonades, tonics ... are essential, especially at parties and at the end of the year.
  • However, every year, a number of accidents occur: explosions, projections of caps, cuts by glass, plastic or metal ... Some of these accidents are benign and cause only slight wounds. Others (about half of the cases) are much more serious, especially when they affect the eyes. So beware of your curious little ones, always more exposed because of their size!

How to prevent such risks?

  • When you buy, check the condition of the general packaging (cardboard, plastic ...). It can tear and let out one or more bottles that may break and explode.
  • Avoid shocks during transport.
  • Beware of high temperatures. Do not leave this type of bottle next to a radiator or chimney.
  • Avoid shaking the bottle (homogenization of the liquid, if necessary, can be obtained by reversing the bottle very slowly several times in a row).
  • Do not let children play with this type of bottle.
  • If it is difficult for you to open a bottle (especially in the case of a screw cap), never force it. Do not use tools (pliers, screwdrivers ...). Be sure to refresh the bottle and let it rest a little while to reduce the pressure. The opening should then be easier.
  • The cap is likely to be ejected with violence (it is the case of the champagne, in particular), never direct it towards a person or an animal, even to "play". If it reaches the eyes, the consequences could be serious and irreversible.

Laurence Dibarrat